Monday, October 15, 2007

the marathon

brutal. almost more mentally than physically.

this was my 3rd one, but by far the most difficult for me to finish! there was something in the last 6miles that i almost cried. it could of been the 3 hills in my view as i shuffled my way up those monsters, or it could of been the terrible aching i felt in my lower back and legs that begged me to stop the pounding. it could of been the dead silence...the pack of runners were no longer chit-chatting, we were conserving energy and hardly any crowds of people were out to cheer us on. it was lonely with myself and the "i just want to quit" thoughts...but i told them to shut up everytime it entered my mind.

i had to reach down somewhere deep to get those last miles down, no matter how slowly. by far an accomplisment, but not the one i set out for. i wanted to conquer my time from last year, instead i slayed the nasty negative mind beasts that told me i couldnt do it. screw them.

this one was local - so i had friends who held up a swedish fish stand for runner and also gave out "free high fives". my parents, sisters, nephews and BF held up the other end of town. which i am so grateful for. instead of thinking constantly of 26 miles, i would think ...only 4 more miles to BF and family. only 3 more miles to funny friends and swedish fish!!

i want to send some snaps out to my fellow runners:

the old dude who passed me and pissed me off (but inspired me to run faster...for awhile)

the guy who juggled his way through the marathon. juggling. necessary?

the "lighthouse guy". this dude made a cardboard light house and put it over himself, only enough cut out that you could see his face.

the kenyans who finished 2hours ahead of me. how in the world do they do it???

the other old man who was bragging that he was going to do 4 more marathons in the next two weeks and how he was getting up on sunday to do another one! i told him i was sitting on the couch and watching fball and then i ran away from the fool.


other side notes:

i knew the carbo-loading itlian restuarants menu better than the course map.

i could care less if i ever eat "gu" again. nasty stuff in pudding-esqe form, they made a power bar basically into a squeezable pack that you can shot into your mouth for quick energy. ew

the really cute couple in a fun neighborhood handed out bananas and i totally ate one. so needed and so appreciated.

i am not doing another marathon next year, but i am already thinking about a sprint triathalon that i could try.

are my thighs ever going to stop hurting?

1 comment:

BarnGoddess said...

girl, you have got GUTS!

I am doing good to run down to my horse barn and your running 26 MILES!!!!!!!!

Woot!!!!!!!!! how awesome is that?!?!?!

who CARES if you were blew away in the race by an old dude, you still finished.

those kenyans are used to out-running lions, thats why they are so damn fast.