Tuesday, October 2, 2007

chi chi




just got back from a lovely weekend in beautiful chicago! love that place. it feels so homey.
i say b/c i am from the mid-west (ohio) and it feels like my people.

and btw - while i am on the subject...i ask for a vote: who believes ohio is a part of the midwest and who believes ohio is still a part of the east coast? let me know what you think!

anywho weekend away with the BF and we did such things as - watch a white sox game, toured the navy pier, went to the top of sears tower and snap some photos from the top, ate churos and corndogs at the ballgame (sounds bad when i write it out), watched some sunday fball at a local pub with the locals. only one chanel had the ravens game one and my sisters were mighty pleased that the ravens went down like they did. brother-in-law not so much.
also hung out at a bakery one night to eat delicious pasteries and use the free WIFI to look up our fantasy leagues.

we did such non-scheduled things such as - went to some health fair that was at the navy pier to get free snacks ala- sams club style. we collected: 2 bottles of oraganic dressing, 2 weight watchers muffins, 4 weight watcher carmel cakes, 1 chocolate with carmel whittmans treat, 1 serving of chocolate soy milk, a green bag, kashi cereal and some tshirts for giving blood to the red cross!

well i really didn't want to, b/c like a true nurse...i don't mind sticking anyone but hate the needle in my arm. but alas, my do-gooder nice man was doing it and i couldn't whimp out now (stupid irish pride). so we gave blood.

bf red cross stats: sailed through the interview process, iron level at 17, and on/off of the needle ~13minutes. ate nutter butter, chips ahoy and water afterwards.

my red cross stats: sailed through the interview process, forgot my license at the hotel so had to give them my credit card and copy of my insurance card and that got me to getting my finger pricked....which revealed my iron was at 12.4 normal is 12 and you need a 12.5 to give blood b/c they will be taking a pint from you. so she shoved my blood in the machine again, this time 12.5.
on to the needle - i put on a brave face but said a slew of silent cuss words in my head when that gigantic 18 bore needle entered into my vein.
19 minutes later - they have to weigh my bag of blood b/c they can't keep me on the needle anylonger, my bag passes by a few ounces! the needle comes out and i can't feel my fingers from having the blood pressure cuff on my arm as a self-made tourniquet. ouch. it hurt like a mother.
i ate - nutter butters, 2 cups of orange juice and something else but i can't remember. i must of looked bad b/c everyone asked if i was ok. before i knew it someone taped a huge icebag to my arm and told me not to rub it.

i want to proudly state that i did not tell them once i was a nurse during that whole process. 1. b/c i hate it when it is done to me (esp. in the middle of sticking someone with a needle). and 2. b/c i didnt want her to get nervous and miss and really screw up my arm.

once we figured out the CTA public transport, i would say we saved around $50 in taxi fees.

great weekend. and now that i am back home i am counting down the days to the marathon. t-minus 11 more to go. boo. i don't have an ounce of enthusiasm either, more looking forward to my carbo loading days.

No comments: