Tuesday, September 18, 2007

thank you

I ran a half marathon this past weekend and I did a lot better than I had hoped. I came in 10 minutes faster than last year and last year I really trained well. this year has not been so good.

I don't get nervous before a race. the girls I run with do. they are up in the middle of the night tossing and turning. they are buttoning their race numbers on their shirts the night before the race and they have to pee at least 4 or 5 times in the morning of the race that they attribute to "nervous bladder".

I never understood that. I put my number on the same day of the race, I usually go before I leave the hotel and won't need to go again until after the race.

one of my friends said she used to be the same way before the races and I was the "odd" one. "odd" in a good way. she said "maybe it was that supreme confidence that your parents taught you and it really came to life in your sports". I thought about that statement a lot. and she is right.

my parents came to all and I mean all of my sporting events. cross-country, volleyball, basketball, softball - you name the season, name the sport and they were there on the sideline cheering. and during off times my dad would work with us, teaching us fundamentals in a fun way. I loved sports. loved the excitement, loved the crowds. I heard many - a - time "you can do it". and guess what. I believed that. I believed " I could do it" and that became my mantra from age 9ish to 18. can you imagine being given that gift?

can you imagine believing you can accomplish anything in one area of your life simply b/c you believe in yourself? you can trust yourself b/c someone else did before.

This is a Thank You to my 'rents. They taught me to say "yes I can and who are you to say I can't?"

Last Sunday, I said "you can do this kt". "do your best, you have done these before and it will be a great race". bad training be damned, I came in under my projected time. I think some things are mind over matter...my parents taught me this first hand.

thanks mom and dad!!

No comments: